Ismail Ben Ayed
ETS Research Chair on Artificial Intelligence in Medical Imaging
1100 Notre-Dame Ouest, Montreal, QC H3C 1K3, CANADA
Phone (office): 1 (514) 396 8800 ext. 7206
- Computer vision
- Machine learning
- Medical image analysis
Yes, I am currently looking for excellent PhD students and postdoctoral fellows in vision, learning and medical image analysis. If you are passionate about these areas and have excellent mathematical/programming skills, then drop me an email (we might spend a couple of years working together!)
A complete list ca be found here
Spine labeling in axial magnetic resonance imaging via integral kernels, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, Vol. 54, pp. 27-34, 2016. ©Elsevier
M. Tang, D. Marin, I. Ben Ayed and Y. Boykov, Normalized Cut meets MRF, European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), Vol. LNCS 9906, pp. 748-765, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Oral presentation), 2016.
K. Punithakumar, I. Ben Ayed, M. Afshin, A. Goela, A. Islam, S. Li, P. Boulanger, H. Becher, M. Noga, Detecting left ventricular impaired relaxation in cardiac MRI using moving mesh correspondences, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol. 124, pp. 58-66, 2016. ©Elsevier
Ayed, M. J. Cardoso et al., Right Ventricle Segmentation From Cardiac MRI: A Collation Study, Medical Image Analysis, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp.187-202, 2015. ©Elsevier
K. Punithakumar, M. Noga, I. Ben Ayed and P. Boulanger, Right Ventricle Segmentation in Cardiac MRI with moving mesh correspondences, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, Vol. 43 , pp. 15-25, 2015. ©Elsevier
Peters, and Li S, Regional Assessment of Cardiac Left Ventricular Myocardial Function via MRI Statistical Features, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 481-494, 2014. ©IEEE
M. Tang, I. Ben Ayed and Y. Boykov, Pseudo-Bound Optimization for Binary Energies, European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) , Vol. LNCS 8693, pp. 691-707, Zurich, Switzerland (Oral presentation), 2014.
I. Ben Ayed, M. Wang, B. Miles and Gregory J. Garvin, TRIC: Trust Region for Invariant Compactness and its application to abdominal aorta segmentation, Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), Vol. LNCS 8673, pp. 381-388, Boston, MA, 2014.
C. M.S. Nambakhsh, T. M. Peters, A. Islam and I. Ben Ayed, Right Ventricle Segmentation with Probability Product Kernel Constraints, Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), Vol. LNCS 8149, pp. 509-517, Nagoya, Japan, 2013.
K. Punithakumar, J. Yuan, I. Ben Ayed, S. Li and Y. Boykov, A Convex Max-Flow Approach to Figure-Ground Separation, SIAM Journal of Imaging Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 1333-1354, 2012. ©SIAM
I. Ben Ayed, K. Punithakumar, R. Minhas, R. Joshi and G. J. Garvin, Vertebral Body Segmentation in MRI via Convex Relaxation and Distribution Matching, Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), Vol. LNCS 7510, pp. 520-527, Nice, France, 2012.
K. Punithakumar, I. Ben Ayed, A. Islam, A. Goela and S. Li, Regional Heart Motion Abnormality Detection via Multiview Fusion, Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), Vol. LNCS 7511, pp. 527-534 Nice, France, 2012.
M. Ben Salah, A. Mitiche, and I. Ben Ayed, Multiregion Image Segmentation by Parametric Kernel Graph Cuts, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing,, Vol. 20, No. 2 , pp. 545-557, 2011. ©IEEE
- I. Ben Ayed, S. Li, I. Ross and R. Rankin, Systems and Methods for Tracking Images, U.S. Patent No. 8144930 B2, obtained in Mar. 2012 (filed in Dec. 2008)
- I. Ben Ayed, P. Kumaradevan, S-P Hojjat and G. Garvin, Methods and Apparatus to Generate Three-Dimensional Spinal Renderings, US Patent No. US9064307, obtained in June 2015 (filed in June 2013)
- P. Kumaradevan, I. Ben Ayed, S. Li, I. Ross, A. Islam and R. Rankin, Methods, Apparatus and Articles of Manufacture to Track Endocardial Motion, U.S. Patent No. 8,811,705 B2, obtained in Aug. 2014, filed in Dec. 2009
- P. Kumaradevan, I. Ben Ayed, S. Li, I. Ross, A. Islam and R. Rankin, Methods, Apparatus and Articles of Manufacture to Process Cardiac Images to Detect Heart Motion Abnormalities, U.S. Patent No. 8,478,012 B2, obtained in Jul. 2013, filed in Dec. 2009
- I. Ben Ayed, S. Gill, P. Kumaradevan and G. Garvin, Automatic Detection of Vertebrae Boundaries in Spine Images, US Patent No. US8965083, obtained in Feb. 2015 (filed in June, 2012)
- I. Ben Ayed, B. Miles and G. Garvin, Standalone annotations of axial-view spine images, US Patent No. US9538920B2, obtained in Jan. 2017 (filed in May, 2014)
- I. Ben, Ayed, D. Pavlov, P. Kumaradevan, S-P Hojjat and G. Garvin, Methods and Apparatus to Label Radiology Images, US Patent Application No. 2014/0143643 A1, filed in Jun. 2013, published in May 2014
- Y. Boykov, I. Ben Ayed, D. Cremers, M. Sonka, Medical Image Segmentation: Beyond
Intervention Conference (MICCAI 2014), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cam-
- S. H. Ibrahim, L. Axel, C. Mekkaoui, D. Metaxas, R. Sinkus, Ben Ayed, A. S. Fahmy,
at the International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 20016), Prague,
- Outstanding Reviewer Award (CVPR 2015)
- GE innovation award (2010)
- Text interview, Algorithms to better interpret medical images, Quebec-Science magazine, May 2015
- Article on the ETS Research Chair on Artificial Intelligence on Medical Imaging, The Metro Newspaper, January 2017
- Program Chair: IPTA 2017 conference
- Scientific Committee member, MEDTEQ (Quebec Consortium for Industrial Research and
- Conference Area Chair: MICCAI 2017, MICCAI 2015
- Conference Program Committe: CVPR (since 2011); ICCV (since 2011); ECCV (since 2014); MICCAI (since 2012); IPMI (since 2011); EMMCVPR (since 2011); BMVC (SINCE 2017)
- Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence; IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging; IEEE Transactions on Image Processing; International Journal of Computer Vision; IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering; International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery